- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- July 20, 2011 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Adding Verbs with Verve and Volume to Your Writing
- Originally Broadcast On:
- July 20, 2011
- Time Estimate:
- One hour and 25 minutes
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
Verbs drive sentences and hold them together. They are the hinge that connects actors and action, the engine that powers movement forward, the key to lean, clear, engaging prose. Understanding how verbs work, and how you use them, can help you brighten and tighten your writing, whether it is breaking news, a longer profile or a Facebook post.
What Will I Learn:
- How verbs can be your most versatile and powerful writing tool
- To identify your own patterns and habits of verb use in your writing
- When to be active, when to be passive
- How to use verbs to control the volume of sentences
- How to paint visual pictures with verbs
Who Should Take this Course:
Writers and reporters looking for ways to enrich their stories using verbs wisely.
Jacqui Banaszynski is a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist who spent 30 years as a newspaper reporter and editor. She holds a Knight Chair professorship at the Missouri School of Journalism, is an editing fellow at the Poynter Institute and coaches student and professional journalists around the world. You can follow her on Twitter at @JacquiB.
Her series “AIDS in the Heartland” won the 1988 Pulitzer Prize in feature writing.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
- Flash Player - Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1 or higher
- Browsers - Mozilla Firefox 2 or higher; Safari 2 or higher; Google Chrome (any version)
Windows users can also use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or higher
- Bandwidth - 256Kbps (512Kbps recommended)
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, my encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.