Build Interactive Data Visualizations with Tableau Public: A Digital Tools Tutorial
- This Webinar was originally broadcast on:
- December 02, 2016 Enroll Now
- Watch and listen to the original one-hour Webinar in its entirety. This Webinar recording features the full presentation led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty including Q&A from the audience and resources from the presenter.
- Build Interactive Data Visualizations with Tableau Public: A Digital Tools Tutorial
- This $29.95 Webinar is free thanks to the support of the American Press Institute and Knight Foundation.
- Originally Broadcast On:
- December 02, 2016
- Time Estimate:
- This is a special two-hour webinar. We may stay longer to answer questions and explore additional features.
In this virtual classroom, participants can join in a seminar led by Poynter faculty and visiting faculty. This screencast includes live audio and a slideshow presentation in which participants can post questions and respond to poll questions posed by the host.
In this special two-hour workshop, you'll learn to create, publish and share interactive data visualizations using Tableau Public, a free and powerful data visualization tool.
We’ll start with a tour of the Tableau interface, connect to an example data set, create a few visualizations and then pull those visualizations together to make a dashboard.
Please complete these tasks before the workshop:
- Install Tableau Public — download here and install
- Create a Tableau Public account — Click "sign in" and follow the link to create a new account here
This workshop is structured so that no prior knowledge of Tableau is necessary.
This training event is part of a series on digital tools in partnership with the American Press Institute and The Poynter Institute, funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation.
See more tools in the Digital Tools Catalog.
What Will I Learn:
- An overview of the Tableau interface
- How to connect to data
- How to build visualizations and dashboards from that data
- How to publish visualizations and dashboards to Tableau Public
- Resources, including blogs, user groups, community and more
Who Should Take this Course:
Journalists interested in expanding their investigative capabilities and autonomy in creating visualizations for data-driven articles.
PHX -> SEA -> NYC. Never one to sit still, Cynthia Andrews embodies the frenetic vibration of the city in which she lives. The road to her current role as a Data Artist at Tableau was anything but linear. Her eclectic background includes a bachelor’s in art history, a master’s in communication in digital media, a stint in journalism as a data visualization developer at NBC, to name a few. In addition to passionately evangelizing visualizing data, she’s also pursuing a [second] master’s degree at the NYU Tandon School of Engineering. Oh, and trying to eat her way through the five boroughs.
1.4GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or faster processor (or equivalent) for Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended) for Windows 7 or Windows 8
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome
Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+
1.83GHz Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
Mac OS X 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9
Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome
Adobe Flash Player 11.2+
Bandwidth - 1.5 Mbits/sec up and down. We strongly suggest viewing our Webinars with a wired connection.
Some networks, especially those that use a proxy server, may encounter difficulty connecting to our Webinar software. If this is your first Poynter NewsU Webinar, please test your connection.
This Webinar contains audio. Please adjust your headphones or speakers.
You can watch our Live Webinars on your iPad with a free Adobe Connect app. To watch Webinar replays, your iPad must be able to view Flash media players. The Live Webinar experience on your iPad is very similar to watching it from your computer. You can watch the video, follow the presentation, respond to polling questions, ask the presenter questions and participate in any discussion forums.
Download the free Adobe Connect app from iTunes here. To access the live event, click on the "Join Live Event Now" button on the Webinar landing page. The virtual room will automatically load. Viewing recorded Webinars on iOS devices is not currently supported.